Opened in 1947, Club Zel-Mar was located in West Philly at 37th and Market streets. In April 1947, the “ultra modern” club played host to Three B’s and A Honey.
The “Home of the Mambo” welcomed José Curbelo who popularized the Mambo and the Cha-cha-cha in the 1950s.
Bill Carney’s Hi-Tones had a weeklong engagement here, February 28-March 5, 1955. The group was comprised of Bill “Mr. C” Carney, Al “Tootie” Heath, Shirley Scott and John Coltrane.