The Blue Horizon was located in the former Loyal Order of Moose Lodge 54.
The property ceased operations as an active Moose lodge shortly after World War II. It remained under the organization’s ownership through the 1950s. At some point, the members-only bar was transformed into a jazz venue that was open to the public. The Camero Club played host to legends-in-the-making like trumpeters Fats Navarro and Clifford Brown.
In 1961, Jimmy Toppi Sr. purchased the property for $85,000. He renamed it after the song “Beyond the Blue Horizon” from the 1930 film “Monte Carlo.” Its limited seating capacity meant big box office fights took place elsewhere – at the Arena and Convention Hall in West Philly, and the Spectrum in South Philly.
The Ring magazine voted the Blue Horizon the #1 boxing venue in the world; Sports Illustrated called it “the last great boxing venue in the country.”
The Blue Horizon closed in June 2010.